Sam Mayer is our guest on Fan4Racing NASCAR & Race Talk on Monday, April 8, 2019, at 9 pm ET. Call 929-477-1790 or tweet @Fan4RacingSite with any questions or comments during our LIVE broadcast.
15-year-old Wins From Pole In Zombie Auto 150
BRISTOL, Tenn. — Round No. 2 of the K&N Pro Series East season belonged to Sam Mayer in every sense of the word.
The 15-year-old was quickest in both practice sessions, set the new track record by qualifying on the pole and won the Zombie Auto 150, leading all 150 laps en route to his first career K&N Pro Series victory.
“The race played out completely different than the way I thought,” Mayer said. “I thought it was going to be pretty solid on the top. But the top wasn’t there at all, it was pretty much all on the bottom. It was really good on the bottom, but once you got out of the groove to pass lapped cars you really had to feather the throttle and be easy into the corner.”
Racing-Reference: Sam Mayer Career Statistics
K&N Pro Series East regulars Chase Cabre and Brandon McReynolds came home second and third. Cabre finished 3.634 seconds behind Mayer’s No. 21 GMS Racing Chevrolet and McReynolds scored his second straight third-place finish.
Drew Dollar and Spencer Davis rounded out the top-five finishers with Colin Garrett, Mason Diaz, Raphael Lessard (first series start) and Tanner Gray completing the top-ten.
RACE RESULTS | 2019 K&N Pro Series East Driver Standings
On the first lap, multiple drivers were involved in a crash on the frontstretch including Ruben Garcia Jr., Natalie Decker, Riley Herbst and Gray. Garcia, Herbst and Decker were forced behind the wall and finished 17th, 18th and 19th, respectively.
Up front, Mayer was relatively unchallenged.
It was the eighth career start for the 15-year-old from Franklin, Wisc. He’s collected four top fives, with his previous best finish of fourth coming in the season finale last year at Dover International Speedway and then matched in this year’s opener at Florida’s New Smyrna Speedway.
Mayer leads Kraus by three points and McReynolds by six in the driver standings. The first K&N Pro Series East regular after Mayer is Garrett in fourth, 11 points back.
The Zombie Auto 150 is scheduled to be broadcasted on NBCSN Thursday, April 11 at 4 p.m.
The next K&N Pro Series East events will take place on Saturday, May 4, at South Boston Speedway with twin 100-lap championship points races.
NASCAR K&N PRO SERIES EAST-Zombie Auto 150 Results
At Bristol Motor Speedway
Lap length: 0.533 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (1) Sam Mayer, Franklin, Wisc., Chevrolet, 150 laps, 86.693 mph.
2. (4) Chase Cabre, Tampa, Fla., Toyota, 150.
3. (11) Brandon McReynolds, Mooresville, N.C., Chevrolet, 150.
4. (8) Drew Dollar, Atlanta, Ga., Toyota, 150.
5. (6) Spencer Davis, Dawsonville, Ga., Ford, 150.
6. (9) Derek Kraus, Stratford, Wis., Toyota, 150.
7. (12) Colin Garrett, Elmo, Va., Chevrolet, 150.
8. (15) Mason Diaz, Manassas, Va., Ford, 150.
9. (17) Raphael Lessard, St.-Joseph de Beauce, Quebec, Canada, Toyota, 149.
10. (2) Tanner Gray, Artesia, N.M., Toyota, 148.
11. (10) Brittney Zamora, Kennewick, Wash., Toyota, 148.
12. (16) Anthony Sergi, Oviedo, Fla., Toyota, 148.
13. (14) Max McLaughlin, Mooresville, N.C., Toyota, 146.
14. (13) Brandon Oakley, Beavercreek, Ohio, Chevrolet, 145.
15. (19) Chuck Buchanan Jr., Hildebran, N.C., Chevrolet, 141.
16. (18) Hailie Deegan, Temecula, Calif., Toyota, 113, accident.
17. (5) Ruben Garcia Jr., Mexico City, Mexico, Toyota, 1, accident.
18. (3) Riley Herbst, Las Vegas, Nev., Toyota, 1, accident.
19. (7) Natalie Decker, Eagle River, Wisc., Toyota, 1, accident.
Time of Race: 55 minutes 20 seconds
The Margin of Victory: 3.634 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: H.Deegan (128.108 mph, 0 seconds)
Caution Flags: Four for 22 laps.
Lead Changes: Zero among one drivers.
Lap Leaders: S. Mayer 1-150.
Standings: 1. S. Mayer, 88; 2. D. Kraus, 85; 3. B. McReynolds, 82; 4. C. Garrett, 77; 5. D. Dollar, 76; 6. S. Davis, 76; 7. A. Sergi, 71; 8. C. Cabre, 70; 9. M. Diaz, 66; 10. T. Gray, 66.