Zane Smith Tames Monster Mile in the NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series KDI Office Technology 200 on Friday, August 21st at Dover International Speedway.
After surviving a restart with two laps left in Friday’s KDI Office Technology 200 at Dover International Speedway, Zane Smith pulled away to claim his second NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series victory of the season.
Zane Smith on Fan4Racing Radio Thursday, August 27th
The 21-year-old Sunoco rookie held off Matt Crafton and GMS Racing teammate Brett Moffitt in the final two-lap dash to earn his second victory in three races and reinforce his status as a formidable contender for the series championship.
Smith held a comfortable lead of more than 1.5 seconds over Moffitt when Stewart Friesen spun in the second turn on lap 192 to cause the fifth and final caution. Moffitt chose the bottom lane for the final restart and lost second place to Crafton on the next-to-last lap.
Smith crossed the finish line 0.989 seconds ahead of Crafton, with Moffitt trailing in third.
“What an awesome truck,” Smith said. “I think we all know that I suck at restarts, but I picked a good time to have a good one. Man, two wins. This is by far the most fun I’ve ever had racing in my career. I’m just so blessed to be here.”
The Triple Truck Challenge
Smith also won the second leg of the Triple Truck Challenge, earning a $50,000 bonus.
“Hopefully, I can pay off my Chevy Silverado,” Smith said.
Sheldon Creed, one of Smith’s GMS Racing teammates, won the first Triple Truck Challenge race last weekend at the Daytona Road Course.
On the penultimate restart on lap 98, after the second stage break, Smith led the field to green but spun his tires and lost three positions. Moffitt was hoping for a similar result when he chose the bottom lane for the final restart.
“The restart before, the 21 (Smith) got a terrible launch on the outside and lost a few positions, but, ultimately, I didn’t get a good launch there on the bottom, and the 21 did,” said Moffitt, the 2018 series champion.
“He went a little earlier than I thought he would. Frustrating … I don’t know—we’ve got to get better.”
NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoor Truck Series Point Standings
The race produced little change on either side of the Gander Truck Series Playoff bubble, with tenth-place Todd Gilliland doubling his advantage over 11th-place Derek Kraus to four points. Ten drivers qualify for the postseason. There are three races left before the Playoff opener Sept. 17 at Bristol Motor Speedway.
“We’re right on the bubble and we need to have these good days, but the guys around us are stepping up, too,” said Gilliland, who finished fourth to Kraus’ 10th on Friday. “So we’ve just got to maximize every day.”
The Rest of the Best
ThorSport Racing teammates Ben Rhodes and Johnny Sauter ran fifth and sixth, respectively, followed by Tyler Ankrum, Austin Hill, Friesen, and Kraus. Smith and Moffitt each led 50 of the 200 laps. Kyle Busch Motorsports teammates Christian Eckes and Chandler Smith were out front for 34 and 31 laps, respectively.
Chandler Smith spun while racing in close quarters with Eckes on lap 88 and finished 20th. Eckes came home 11th.
NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series Race – 21st Annual KDI Office Technology 200
Dover International Speedway
Friday, August 21, 2020
1. (7) Zane Smith #, Chevrolet, 200.
2. (4) Matt Crafton, Ford, 200.
3. (1) Brett Moffitt, Chevrolet, 200.
4. (17) Todd Gilliland, Ford, 200.
5. (10) Ben Rhodes, Ford, 200.
6. (15) Johnny Sauter, Ford, 200.
7. (6) Tyler Ankrum, Chevrolet, 200.
8. (3) Austin Hill, Toyota, 200.
9. (11) Stewart Friesen, Toyota, 200.
10. (16) Derek Kraus #, Toyota, 200.
11. (9) Christian Eckes #, Toyota, 200.
12. (20) Carson Hocevar, Chevrolet, 199.
13. (8) Grant Enfinger, Ford, 199.
14. (21) Ty Majeski #, Chevrolet, 199.
15. (26) Sam Mayer, Chevrolet, 199.
16. (22) Spencer Davis #, Toyota, 199.
17. (12) Tanner Gray #, Ford, 198.
18. (28) Bayley Currey, Chevrolet, 198.
19. (5) Raphael Lessard #, Toyota, 198.
20. (23) Chandler Smith, Toyota, 198.
21. (30) Timmy Hill, Chevrolet, 197.
22. (2) Sheldon Creed, Chevrolet, 196.
23. (14) Austin Wayne Self, Chevrolet, 196.
24. (25) Jordan Anderson, Chevrolet, 196.
25. (35) Dawson Cram, Chevrolet, 195.
26. (31) JJ Yeley, Toyota, 194.
27. (18) Tate Fogleman #, Chevrolet, 193.
28. (19) Spencer Boyd, Chevrolet, 193.
29. (29) Jennifer Jo Cobb, Chevrolet, 189.
30. (34) Tyler Hill, Chevrolet, 188.
31. (24) Tim Viens, Chevrolet, 180.
32. (33) Clay Greenfield, Toyota, Suspension, 133.
33. (32) Bryant Barnhill, Toyota, Ignition, 109.
34. (13) Parker Kligerman, Chevrolet, Engine, 94.
35. (27) Norm Benning, Chevrolet, Brakes, 56.
The KDI Office Technology 200 Stats
Average Speed of Race Winner: 110.752 mph.
Time of Race: One Hr, 48 Mins, 21 Secs. The Margin of Victory: 0.989 Seconds.
Caution Flags: Five for 27 laps.
Lead Changes: 13 among ten drivers.
Lap Leaders: B. Moffitt 1-25;M. Crafton 26;A. Hill 27-47;C. Smith 48-78;D. Kraus # 79-87;Z. Smith # 88-96;C. Eckes # 97-128;B. Moffitt 129-153;Z. Smith # 154-161;C. Eckes # 162-163;T. Gilliland 164-165;T. Gray # 166;S. Creed 167;Z. Smith # 168-200.
Leaders Summary (Driver, Times Lead, Laps Led): Zane Smith # three times for 50 laps; Brett Moffitt two times for 50 laps; Christian Eckes # two times for 34 laps; Chandler Smith one time for 31 laps; Austin Hill one time for 21 laps; Derek Kraus # one time for nine laps; Todd Gilliland one time for two laps; Matt Crafton one time for one lap; Sheldon Creed one time for one lap; Tanner Gray # one time for one lap.
Stage 1 Top-Ten: 16,88,26,21,23,2,18,98,4,38
Stage 2 Top-Ten: 21,19,18,2,23,99,38,13,26,88